Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Beginning of our Adoption Journey....

Our Story and the Beginning of our Adoption Journey...


I would like to first explain the meaning behind the name of this blog as it may seem confusing to many.  

What is a Quiverfull?

The meaning of a quiverfull is essentially the belief that Christian families trust the Lord in the area of family planning.  We believe that we have been commanded by God to multiply and replenish the earth and that this command remains in force today.   As part of God's plan we know that His spirit sons and daughters, as part of their eternal progression, must obtain a physical body and fulfill the mission that God created them to fulfill upon this earth.  

When I reflect upon all the things we place of utmost importance in our lives it saddens me that they are things of this world that we cannot take with us and essentially have no purpose or true value.  As a society we value external beauty, money, prestigious careers, government approved education, cars..... 
When all is said and done, will it truly be the car we worry about on our death bed?  Will those paper degrees on the wall have much value.....no.   Our greatest treasure is our family, those we have loved and who have loved us, those who we shared our life with, laughed with, cried with, and shared our hope and faith in Christ with.

If you believe in a quiverfull why do you only have two children?

I cannot tell you how many times well meaning, and sometimes not so well meaning, questions and comments have been made on the size of my family.  I don't know why it is, but whenever you meet someone new the first question that comes out of their mouth is.....How many children do you have?

When I say, two.  I get an interesting look and then the comment ONLY two.  If you could see the heartache, the tears, the prayers, the sleepless nights, the begging, pleading and bargaining with God that has gone on in private you would not say such things, or maybe those without compassion and charity toward others may still say them I don't know.

In my seeking answers to why I have been unable to have more children I have slowly, very slowly, been led into the world of adoption.  In my heart I truly wanted to have a big family of my own, it isn't something I talk about with others because I have had enough judgement, criticism and rude comments even from close family members that I just decided not to speak of it.

I will not discuss all the details that led me to this decision to adopt....partially because it would be longer than any human being would want to read, but mostly because it is deeply personal.  

I do believe that families should be kept together if at all possible, however, in our imperfect and unfortunately increasingly wicked world I realize that this ideal is not a reality in all cases.

There are problems in all areas of adoption, most domestic newborn adoption agencies do nothing more than profit off of the sale of babies priced based on their race, gender or health status.  International adoptions are also rife with deceit, corruption and greed as well. It is tough to navigate through the world of adoption and find what God is laying on your heart to do.

I will say that I know that sometimes God has a different plan for us than we have for ourselves.  There are times we are called to have a large family and other times we are called to provide a home for the orphans.

We are called to provide a home for the Orphans

I am ashamed to admit that it took me 8 years of being stubborn and relentless in my desire to have another child of my own to come to the realization that God wanted me to be an instrument in His hands to provide for Orphans.  I may not understand, I certainly would not consider myself the most qualified for such a task.

This has not been a spur of the moment decision, nor was it just a 'Oh, adoption will be fun' idea.  This is something that has been carefully weighed and considered over the last 10 years.  I have read many books, researched, read some more and there are times the thought scares me beyond belief, but I know that God does not work through fear and that He always provides a way for us to accomplish what we need to accomplish.

And so our journey to adopt a special needs child from China begins......


No comments:

Post a Comment