Monday, July 11, 2016

The time is drawing near....life altering moments



This is a little clip of our last Skype call with Little M....My daughter Kenzi had said,
 妹妹好 Mèimei hǎo.  This is a way of saying, Hello Little Sister, but the literal translation is, ¨little sister good.¨  Little M has such a soft, shy voice we were not expecting her to say 姐姐好 
Jiějiě hǎo so loudly!  Luckily Kenzi had her phone recording and was able to capture this sweet moment...you can hear her replaying it in the background over and over again, Kenzi kept saying, my heart is melting <3  all night long after this skype call!



Adoption Update...

I did not share the last post on Facebook as we had just enjoyed the beautiful adoption shower and I didn´t want to distract from the joy of the shower by sharing our bad news.  We have run into a delay which could potentially cause a 2-3 week delay.  Our Article 5 packet that was sent to the U.S. consulate in Guangzhou was missing Little M´s certificate of abandonment and so they could not complete it and so we are now waiting on a new article 5 pick up date!   We are praying our hearts out that it won´t be another 2 week wait.....but the reality is it very well could be.  We will keep you updated.

I will post pictures of the shower from Saturday very soon!


Life Altering Moments....

A couple of comments I have received really made me ponder on the attitudes toward adoption, and even attitudes we may hold toward our bio children as well.  It is common for people to ask me if I know what I am getting into or may say that my life is going to change.  Sometimes it is just a comment in passing, at other times it is said in a way implying that I am purposefully choosing to ´ruin´ my own freedom.  
Is life really about living for myself, carefully making choices to ensure my own comfort and that my life never has a moment of discomfort or inconvenience due to someone else´s need?
It would have been easy for me to ignore the feelings and promptings that God was giving me.  It would have been easy for me to say, ¨My kids are teenagers, I will be an empty-nester soon, why would I want to go back to raising small children again.¨
It would have been easy for me to turn my back on something that would be ´hard.´  But that is NOT what I came to this life to do.
When I think of my Savior, it would have been easy for him not to come to this earth to pay for my sins, to pay for your sins, to pay for the sins of the world.  It would have been easier for Him not to live a life of service, suffering at the hands of evil men being mocked, spit upon, and rejected.  When I profess to be a Christian, when I made covenants at baptism I covenanted to ´take His name upon me.´  This means that I strive to live a life that is a reflection of Him.
I am not perfect, not by any means, but I know that God has a plan for each of us and rarely does that plan involve, comfort and living in avoidance of or ignoring others suffering and struggles.  His plan involves holding the hands that hang down, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and needy, caring for the widow and the orphan.  It isn´t about living in comfort, it is about serving our fellowmen. 
I know my life is going to change, I know that I will have less time for myself, I know that there may be days and nights trying to comfort a grieving little girl, I know that my time will be filled with simple yet demanding tasks of helping a blind little girl learn the layout of her room, find the bathroom, learn the layout of the kitchen, teaching her English, and helping her adjust to her new life.  There will be moments of joy and smiles, there will be moments of shear exhaustion and lack of sleep, there will be moments of raw emotions that will bring a lot of tears.....Life is messy!
Not every person is called to adoption, and that is okay.  Some of us are called to help others in their adoption journey whether that is financially or simply just being a helping hand or listening ear when needed.  We all have a responsibility in this tragic world of child abandonment to give relief and aid where we can.  There are those who God calls to adopt, we may not feel adequate or prepared but I know God qualifies those whom He calls.  Your life will look entirely different than mine and that is okay, we are all on different journeys, on different errands of the Lord at different times.
Life is always messy!  Even if you try as hard as you can to make choices to ensure your own comfort over all else....life will still happen to you!  In an instant, life can change! 

Yes, adopting a child with special needs is a life altering event....you may look from the outside in and say, ¨you chose this¨, but the reality is....God chose this for me, I was just willing to say yes!  This doesn´t make me a saint, this doesn´t make me better or worse than anyone else....it is just my life and what God requires of me.  

When the tears come, and I know they will...when the hard days are upon me or I am tired from lack of sleep or emotionally run down I hope you will have the compassion to offer a helping hand or a kind word rather than a ¨this was your own choice¨ attitude.  I chose to say yes full well knowing it wouldn´t be easy but where would any of us be if every choice made in this world was only made to take the easy way out?
We would all be lost...we would all be orphans...

No comments:

Post a Comment